RenCorner Network

Wireless hook up.

jcocn5

• Veteran Admin

Ok got a actual pc question this time.

I have high speed cable internet. About 100mbs, problem is that I use a WiFi router centrally located in the home and all my pc's use WiFi.

while this works, it seems like my router cuts the bandwidth in half. 

Currently im using a HP pc with built in wireless. 

Is there a better  system i could use? I.E. Wireless router and a plug in WiFi receiver?  I still want to go wireless. just want better signal.

pop me your ideas. ^_^

thanks.

• Like 1

Different varieties of WiFi cards allow better netspeed. Although I have never needed to invest in it because 54mbps was fine. And keep in mind your provider's assigned netspeed for yourself will determine your netspeed for the router.

it all depends on what is limiting the speed :

-your network card

-the wireless router

-the bandwidth assigned by your ISP

-sometimes , it could even mean that someone is stealing your internet , you can check DHCP clients list in your router to see who is connected to your router (happened to me many times )

I'd suggest going with the last suggestion from vlat. Checking your DHCP list is a great idea, keep in mind you should check for the MAC Addresses of your computers before leasing anyone form the DHCP client list, and before doing so update the password for the wireless network. Preferably something complex and something that is not as easy to guess(default passwords are a no-no).

• Like 1

In my situation I am on the 3rd floor of my house and the router is on the bottom so there is pretty much no chance of running a wire up two floors so I also have a HP with built in wifi although have you ever considered buying a wireless repeater? They can help to boost your signal quite dramatically that's something I'm looking into buying ATM. But as mentioned it is also down to your ISP service, have you done a speed test lately just to check on that?

• 2 months later...

I bet he has it fixed by now, This was started in december.

But seriously, there is video on Youtube that shows how  to make a directional antenna out of Tinfoil and a paper towel holder, for your Wireless card, supposed to boost the signal dramatically..

I use tin-foil and my cats cardboard collar if I need wireless on my phone in the garden. Also, those powerline things are a ridiculous waste of time; I never managed to get more than two endpoint working simultaneously.

But yeah, bump much?