RenCorner Network

Gaming Laptop? (Yes Laptop)

Evo

So recently I've been saving up for something to game on, I absolutely hate consoles, and already have a 360 if I really want to turn that way... Anyways, I was going to build a desktop, but I have decided that I need a laptop. I know that you can get way more processing power out of a desktop than you can in a laptop, but I have to have a laptop (personal reasons). I've saved up nearly 700$, and I got a job at Marshall's working weekends. My budget is anything below 1100$, however I may go a little bit higher if it's truly worth it. 

What I want out of it:

I really want a laptop that I can essentially use like a desktop. I want to be playing games ranging from BF4 to GW2, so I want something with decent graphics processing (Must have a dedicated GPU) as well as a nice enough CPU. I know that for my budget, and since it's a laptop not a desktop, this is really hard to find. I want to use this laptop to play most recent games on at least medium settings @1080p. I want to use this laptop for at least 2 years, and have it still be able to run games decently.

What I've found: 

The laptop that I've found that matches all of my wants, as well as my budget is the Lenovo Y510p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313740

Priced at 1,030$ it packs Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI 2GB, 8gb of RAM, an i7 4700MQ CPU and on top of it all it looks pretty nice! I don't really care about size or noise, or heat. I can easily buy a cooling pad for 50$, and fan noise doesn't really bother me. The only concerns I have about this laptop is the fact that since it has 2 GT 755M's in SLI, it will produce a fair amount of heat, and there is also the concern of micro stuttering. I don't really know much about it, or if it can actually be registered by the human eye enough for it to be deemed annoying, but it is obviously a concern. Also there is the fact that some games don't register GPU's in SLI, so some times, the other GPU will be useless depending on what I'm doing. I most likely will chose this laptop, but if there is something that may offer better performance please let me know!

If you search Lenovo Y510P SLI on google, the first results are forum topics about problems with the SLI function, overheating or microstuttering. I don't know if it would be better to find  a laptop with say a 870M or a 860M instead

Thanks in advance.

only bad thing I see about that laptop is Windows 8 and the screen is only 15.6" instead of 17"

I don't mind Windows 8, I can customize it to be like Windows 7, or just use a spare version of Win 7. And screen size doesn't really matter either, 15.6" is fine

only bad thing I see about that laptop is Windows 8 and the screen is only 15.6" instead of 17"

i can honestly say im more than an average PC user and i think windows 8 is great  , but haters gonna hate

oh and nothing is bad about 15'' , in fact its less prone to getting cracked due to twisting it while openning

I don't mind Windows 8, I can customize it to be like Windows 7, or just use a spare version of Win 7. And screen size doesn't really matter either, 15.6" is fine

Here ya go :

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html

all of these laptops suit ur criteria , they all within that price range and u can squeeze out a bit more if u customize + all of em are very good gaming laptop brands

oh and btw the GTX780 M is the best mobile gpu i think ...  u dont compare NVidia based on the first number , its a bit complicated , for example the 780 > 850 : the series is 7xx vs 8xx but the "class" is 80 vs 50 ... the best way tbh is to google GTX 780M vs 850M (or for any other gpu) and see results

i wouldnt recommend AMD gpu for laptop they tend to heat and consupt more power ... ive tried both , Nvidia knows how to squeeze more performance out of less hardware

Dont bother with SLI technologie ... its a enough pain in the ass on desktops i wonder how it is on laptops ... and most games arent built to make use of multiple CPUs or GPUs ( its hard to code that sorta shit)

good luck :)

Thanks Vlat! I've chosen this one! http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominator895-p-6948.html?wconfigure=yes By downgrading from an i7-4800MQ to a 4700MQ I can chop off 110$ to make it nearly within my budget! 

One question though, If I wanted to add an SSD to it, could I? I would use it to boot off of, and put my most played games on it, so I would most likely need an MSATA controller correct?

Laptops ain't bad to play games on, I play games on mine as well and yes if you wanted to add an ssd then do it (because you can)